Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Heart it, don't Hoard it.

I am a fabric hoarder.  There I said it.  I'm done with that now.  I own it and I doubt I can stop that beast, but I want to have as much output as input from now on.  I can't just keep storing fabric piles.

So I've been struggling a little lately.  Not that I don't have ideas, I just am a poor planner...take that back, I overplan.  I focus on the idea more than the preparing to launch the idea.  I have boxes and boxes of "ideas" that I picked up, but when it comes time to do it, I still need to pick out the pattern, or gather the supplies.

So I will revert back to my trusty list....and by publishing this one, I can't loose it. :)  This will be the most boring post ever - no photos.  But I do invite comments if you can throw me ideas or pattern sources for any of these.

A big part of starting this blog was to put some action to my common complaints.  One of those has been, "I have collected so much beautiful fabric and love to sew, so why do I have ANYTHING ugly in my house?  There is NO excuse."  Besides my home decor goals, even the most basic everyday items should be beautiful.

So I started creating a list of practical  items to sew room by room.  And the web is a great source to find FREE patterns for everyday type items.  And lots of these items could be embroidered with my embroidery machine as a labelling system.  I HAVE NO EXCUSE!


I've been seeing other bloggers publish their punch lists, so here it goes:

Kitchen

Fridge bulletin boards - done but need to repair with strong magnets, the darn hotglue idea is not working
crockpot carriers
casserole carriers
hand towel hangers
plastic bag holder
garbage can covers
microwave scarf
fridge scarf - done
fridge shelf liners - done
cloth grocery store bags - started, need to finish adding bottoms and straps
storage bag for handmixer and parts
storage bag for cookie cutters by holiday
storage bag for cooker press and parts
storage bag for food processor parts
lunch bags
hot pads
storage bag for garbage bags
storage bags for other misc. parts, lids, corn cob holders, steak knives, etc.


Dining room

Cloth napkins ( I have a ton of these...just need to start using - thrift stores always have a ton of these and most are obviously unused, probably bought for decor only)
Seasonal table cloths (finally now that the kids are older and won't pull the entire meal onto the floor)
Storage bag to hold extra cloth napkins
Storage bag to hold dirty napkins for washday
Storage bag to hold extra table cloths
Shoe basket liner
Chandelier shades - started but still two short, need to find that fabric to finish those
Recover chairs

Bathrooms

Extra roll holders
toilet lid scarves
over door pockets to hold kids underwear, pyjamas
trim out nice towels
cabinet curtains - where needed
shower curtains  redo -  started, need to finish
storage bags for makeup
cloth storage baskets for medicine types, "cuts" "tummy" "aches" "flu"
laundry hamper liners and covers
gym toiletry bag
recover existing travel bags for jewelry and toiletries
cloth storage bags or baskets for cleaning products
hanging case for keeping CDs off counter
curling iron cover from hot pad
storage bag for hair tools
cloth storage baskets for products by type "hair" "skin" "perfume"

Scrapbook room

recover existing rolling carriers
travel storage bags for various tools by type "pens" "stamp ink", "embossers"
carrying bag for cutter
cloth cover for ugly albums

Sewing room

recover existing rolling carriers
travel storage bags for various tools by type "mini iron" "rulers" "scissors"
carrying bag for embroidery machine parts
storage bags with a photo slot for unfinished projects

Bedrooms

closet door curtains
bed ruffles
new bedspreads
fabric headboards
Seasonal clothing storage bags "sweaters" "shorts"
Sheet storage bags "full" "twin" "king"
Cloth toy pickup baskets

Outside

vinyl lean to for bikes
grill cover from vinyl table cloth


Office at work

chair cover
cloth bulletin boards
gym bag
storage bags for items  "utensils" "coffee" "oatmeal"


OKAY, that should keep me busy for a while.  I'll repost in one month to show progress, even if the blog posts haven't caught up with the progress - boy am I optimistic.





4 comments:

  1. Boy can I relate to this! I didn't realize how bad of a fabric hoarder I was until we moved a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to get the new sewing room put together and everywhere I look there's more fabric! LOL

    I've gotten some ideas from your list. Hope you don't mind if I "steal" some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away! If you come up with any good ideas on what to do with all this fabric, please let me know. If you see my more recent post involving a storage unit, I really do have a problem. Maybe for every idea you steal, you could pop me an email to show me how it came out :) That is why I started this blog, to motivate myself to get things done.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That list will keep you busy for years! I make lists too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY CRAP. You took these words out of my mouth: "I focus on the idea more than the preparing to launch the idea. I have boxes and boxes of "ideas" that I picked up, but when it comes time to do it, I still need to pick out the pattern, or gather the supplies." THAT'S ME ALL THE WAY!!! I am like that when I buy furniture--I see its potential, but I'm awful at planning and pulling everything together. It's so stressful operating in that manner, so I'm about to crack down real hard!!

    Serena
    Thrift Diving

    ReplyDelete