Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mama has got my back!



No, this is not the same post from yesterday, just the same before photo.  This time I am showing the before of the banister.  I have stared at that thing for years and hated it.  For one, the means to make it baby safe is just plain ugly.  For a long time we attached plexiglass panels but those got cracked and stayed filthy.  This net is good, but ugly.  I thought several times to put a fabric skirt over it but thought it would take away the "loft" effect.....and be something for the kids to hang on.  FINALLY, oh FINALLY, they are too big to fit through the rails.  Others are happy about graduating from carseats, I am happy for them to become BIG HEADs so I can decorate like I want to :)

The thing I really disliked about the banister is the oak railing.  I am just not into oak....it looks dated to me.



So ignore that dining room set too while you are at it :)  Oh well, you can't have it all.  I like dark wood and I kept dreaming of a wrought iron (think New Orleans) look.

Every one said I was crazy....except my Mama!  

She said "lets get to it".  I had bought these scrolly wrought iron pieces to attach for decoration but at the last minute, we both had visions of them being used a toeholds as the kids launched their acrobat careers over the railing....nixed that idea real quick like.  Those scrolly's are in the back yard now, rusting nicely.



Basically we just removed the hand railing, sanded them down and restained them with a black cherry stain.  Several coats to get the color we wanted.


A coat of primer and several coats of flat black paint later....









 

...AND I AM A HAPPY WOMAN!

BUNCH OF NAYSAYERS! DON'T TELL ME I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

Of course, I'll have to touch it up once in a while if the paint chips but so far it still looks good.  I AM SO HAPPY MY MAMA HAS MY BACK!



No comments:

Post a Comment