Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fall garden


Pitiful ain't it?

Isn't this a sad excuse for a flower bed?  I swear I've been looking at it every day for over a month, wanting to put some plants in, hating to spend the money since it is so late in the year.


And yes, if you've been following my posts, those are the same plants that I showed several posts ago, when I was so super excited about making terrariums.  Good thing those are the types of plants that can take abuse.





And you may be asking why I have a dvd stand in my flowerbed.  Well, I can tell you that has only been there for a day or so, once I finally got tired of walking around it in my dining room.  I bought it on a thriftstore trip with the intent on making a plant stand of sorts.  Perfect for outdoors since it is metal.  You'll see.


Notice how dry that soil is.....the very same soil that I paid to have delivered months ago so I could laboriously shovel it in to plant some nice annuals in the bed.  It has been so dry and the annuals just never happened.  At the very least I wanted to put some mulch down to keep it from washing away and keep weeds down.  Then I did a little research on Pinterest on "fall gardens" and of course they had me at hello.  I decided it was more worthwhile to be happy for few months than to cringe every time I pulled up to my front yard.  Besides, our yard had us looking like the Clampetts (holler if you get the reference.)

Since I have been furloughed and got to see what it feels like to be a stay at home mom for once, I was able to see just how productive I could be if left to my own devises (kids are in school!).  I justified spending the money that I have no clue if I can really afford at this point (day 2 of the furlough) to buy some plants, a bag of potting soil, mulch and a few misc. items.  I ended up spending around $100 (with some plants, pots and bulbs left for the back yard - a later post).

Well, was it worth it?  I think so!



 Amazing, isn't it, what a few plants and some mulch will do for some curb appeal.






And there is that lovely dvd, I mean plant stand.  Pretty cool huh?



I even got to finally finish the terrarium project.  All thiftstore buys.  Sorry for the wetness in the photos but I figured I better not wait or they'll be dead by the time I get around to it again. :)  I just gave them a light spray.  I didn't want to shock them too bad by actually giving them some water.....just kidding, they only take a little water.


You can barely see it but that is a rock plant amongst all the rocks in the pitcher and it has a single bloom.  How the heck does it bloom as dry as it has been?



Since I used the daughter's rock collection for this project, I had to include the rainbow rock she made in school last year.  I actually think it is the perfect touch.


The rocks are actually supporting this poor pitiful one.  It'll make it, these things are tough as nails.


This one is my favorite, not really a terrarium but such a pretty plant and planter.



Now you just watch, after all the abuse they've been through in the heat with little water, I'll bring them inside and kill them within a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment